I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who doesn't like banana bread. Well ok maybe my friend Charlotte who doesn't like bananas. But generally it's a winner for most people. But THIS banana bread? Well this is the BEST banana bread and here's why.
- It's superbly deliciously
- It's moist (a must for banana bread in my book)
- It's refined sugar free (obvs)
- It can be gluten free and dairy free if that's how you role
- It's super easy to throw together
- It's actually healthy (I don't know of any banana breads that are both healthy AND super tasty. Yup you gotta try this!)
The Best Banana Bread
Ingredients (always use organic where possible)
- 4 large or 5 small ripe bananas (the riper the better), mashed
- 75g soft butter, or 75ml olive oil if dairy free
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla powder or good quality essence or paste (roughly 1 fresh vanilla pod)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of good quality salt
- 1 1/2 cups regular wholemeal flour, wholemeal spelt flour, or wholemeal buckwheat flour if gluten free
- 1/4 cup pecans halves, plus 8-10 extra for placing on top
reheat your oven to 180 degrees C (160 degrees C fan oven).
Pop the mashed bananas, butter, egg, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt into a bowl and mix well. Add the flour and combine until you have a smooth batter, then finally pop into your 1/4 cup pecans and stir so they're evenly mixed through.
Pour your batter into a parchment lined loaf tin, then add your extra 8-10 pecans so they sit just on top of the loaf.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 50-60 minutes, taking out when a tooth pick or skewer comes out clean when poked into the middle. Leave it to cool in the loaf tin for 30 minutes or so then transfer to a cooling rack.
Best served warm with your favourite cuppa :)
Enjoy this awesome banana bread and do let me know in the comments which version you go for!