Since becoming a mummy I've come across numerous egg based vegetable muffins and patties. I've also tried out a LOT and if I'm honest haven't been that impressed. Am I doing something wrong?!
This one however was not only super quick and easy, but Jasper nailed four along with a load of sweet potato chips, and happy baby equals happy mummy!
I adapted this recipe to include kale (because kale is the superhero of all veg so I add it to most things), and cumin (for its delicious earthy flavour and ability to elevate even the simplest of dishes).
I've actually just started freezing kale as well. Do you do this? I had the leftovers of a bag that was looking sorry for itself one day so rather than let it go all brown and smelly, I popped into a zip lock bag in the freezer. Best idea I've ever had!
When frozen, kale breaks up into small pieces so easily, which means it cooks even quicker and makes it really easy for Jasper to eat. Spinach is the same, so if like me your child struggles with these veg due to their texture when cooked, freezing them is a god send.
Courgette and Kale Mini Egg Muffins
- Large bowl
- Cheese cloth or clean dish towel
- Mini muffin tin
Ingredients - use as much organic produce as you can
- 1 courgette, grated (a heaping cup)
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup kale, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C fan
- Put the grated courgette into the cheese cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as you can
- Place the courgette and all other ingredients into a bowl and mix well until combined
- Grease your mini muffin tray with a little oil (I use coconut as it you can use it at a high heat)
- Evenly divide the mixture across the muffin tray (they should be full)
- Pop them into the oven for 16-18 minutes until golden brown on top
- Serve with sweet potato chips or any veggies your little ones enjoy
I'd really recommend making double the amount as these got gobbled up in minutes. Yup adults love them too!
Have you tried an egg based muffin or pattie that you love? If so please do share in the comments box as I'm looking for new recipes to try out!